Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pompeii in Boston

So long since I've posted, but had to add my thoughts on this profound presentation at the Boston Museum of Science.

A poem I wrote about the exhibit the next day...

The Watchdog from Pompeii

I saw your body caste today.
The image of your twisted body,
Your agony
Festered in my soul.
You must have struggled to escape from the heavy chain that bound you there.
You must have crawled over the hills of acid dust growing around you -
dust that scorched your brown eyes;
filled your lungs with poisonous gases;
dust that finally buried you forever.
No escape. Simple Agony. Hell.
But, you came to life for me today.
This white caste. Your final moments of pain.
Did you have a small boy that loved you?
Did your Master feed you treats on warm summer days?
Did someone brush your fur through the seasons?
Your paws are so large.
Your twisted image remains frozen in my mind.
I want to stroke the fur no longer seen.
I want to whisper in your ear, and tell you to hold on.
The Elysian Fields will be cool against your paws.

ame 10/6/11

No comments: